[Skip to content]
ISS011-E-9913
Browse image
Resolutions offered for this image:
1000 x 651 pixels 540 x 352 pixels 540 x 405 pixels 3008 x 1960 pixels 640 x 428 pixels

MAP LOCATION
latitude/longitude of image
Spacecraft nadir point: 49.3° N, 104.4° E

Photo center point: 52.2° N, 104.4° E

Nadir to Photo Center: North

Spacecraft Altitude: 186 nautical miles (344km)
Click for Google map
IMAGE DETAILS
features and other details
CAMERA INFORMATION
information about camera used
ALL DOWNLOAD OPTIONS
additional formats
Width Height Annotated Cropped Purpose Links
1000 pixels 651 pixels No Yes NASA's Earth Observatory web site Download Image
540 pixels 352 pixels Yes Yes NASA's Earth Observatory web site Download Image
540 pixels 405 pixels Yes Yes NASA's Earth Observatory web site Download Image
3008 pixels 1960 pixels No No Not enhanced Download Image
640 pixels 428 pixels No No Download Image
Other options available:
Download Packaged File
Download a Google Earth KML for this Image
View photo footprint information
Image Caption: Irkutsk, Siberia, Russian Federation

Located about 55 kilometers (34 miles) to the northwest of Lake Baikal, Irkutsk is also the chief city of Irkutsk Oblast (province) in Siberia. The city is located on the Angara River and was originally a tax collection outpost for local fur trappers. Irkutsk formally became a town in 1686. Following a revolt against Tsar Nicholas I in 1825, the city became a center for revolutionaries exiled to Siberia. The relocation of many artists, Imperial army officers, and nobles was an important factor in the establishment of the cultural and architectural character of the city. Following the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917, Irkutsk was the site of many battles during the civil war between the White and Red armies. Today Irkutsk is a major economic, academic, and cultural center in Siberia.

This astronaut photograph shows the central downtown area of the city, as well as the Akademgorodok district around the State University (left of image along the southern bank of the Angara River). The oblique (non-vertical) perspective of this photograph imparts a three dimension perspective to the scene, with shadows accentuating the blockiness of Soviet-era building projects to the east of the downtown area. The Irkutsk Dam (image center), built for hydroelectric power, dramatically widened the river and drowned several stream outlet channels along the north and south banks. The Angara River is the only outlet from Lake Baikal to the southeast, and impoundment of water behind the dam has raised the Lake Baikal by 6 meters (20 feet).