[Skip to content]
ISS037-E-21618
Browse image
Resolutions offered for this image:
1000 x 661 pixels 540 x 357 pixels 1440 x 960 pixels 720 x 480 pixels 6048 x 4032 pixels 640 x 427 pixels

MAP LOCATION
latitude/longitude of image
Spacecraft nadir point: 48.1° N, 0.3° W

Photo center point: 49.5° N, 0.1° E

Nadir to Photo Center: North

Spacecraft Altitude: 222 nautical miles (411km)
Click for Google map
IMAGE DETAILS
features and other details
CAMERA INFORMATION
information about camera used
ALL DOWNLOAD OPTIONS
additional formats
Width Height Annotated Cropped Purpose Links
1000 pixels 661 pixels No Yes NASA's Earth Observatory web site Download Image
540 pixels 357 pixels Yes Yes NASA's Earth Observatory web site Download Image
1440 pixels 960 pixels No No NASA's Earth Observatory web site Download Image
720 pixels 480 pixels Yes No NASA's Earth Observatory web site Download Image
6048 pixels 4032 pixels No No Download Image
640 pixels 427 pixels No No Download Image
Other options available:
Download Packaged File
Download a Google Earth KML for this Image
View photo footprint information
Image Caption: Le Havre, France

Note: This caption refers to the image versions labeled "NASA's Earth Observatory web site".

The port city of Le Havre, France is located at the confluence of the Seine River and the English Channel along the northern coastline of the country (Upper Normandy region). Le Havre is the largest container port in France, and the second largest in terms of total traffic after Marseille. The extensive port facilities, visible at image center, include numerous docks (large cargo ships are clearly visible in this detailed astronaut photograph), storage tanks for petro- and other chemicals, and large industrial and warehouse facilities with white rooftops. The port also serves seagoing pleasure cruise vessels. The southern edge of the port facility along the Seine includes a seawall-enclosed ship turning area (image lower center).

The Montgeon Forest, visible as a large green region at image upper center, includes 200 hectares of woodland and 30 hectares of meadows and lawns. The urban area of Le Havre, to the north of the port facilities, was largely destroyed during World War II. After the war, the city was rebuilt following the vision of architect Auguste Perret. Perret favored the use of reinforced and precast concrete in building structures, and much of the city built between 1945 and 1964 follows his plan in both form and materials - leading to the designation of Le Havre as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2005.